Monday, March 30, 2020

Fabric Bleed

This little quilt sits on our kitchen table under a lazy susan.  A long time ago I noticed that some of the colors had bled.  Not sure how it got wet but I was heart broken.  I never prewash my fabrics and when I wash a quilt for the first time, I use Retayne to stop any fabric color bleed.  I've never had any trouble at all, even with a quilt that was red and white.  The whites were perfect.  
When researching, I found this blog post on the topic and figured I didn't have anything to lose.  So I pulled out a plastic tub and my Dawn and got to work.
 I filled my tub with hot water and added about 1/3 of Dawn.  It turned the water blue and I was a little worried about that because I have light fabrics in my mini-quilt.  Then again, the quilt was already ruined so why not?
In went the quilt.  I got a bunch of fabric bleed immediately so I kept soaking it for about 30 minutes and replacing the Dawn/water mixture until it seemed to be done bleeding.  Then I left it to soakfor the day.

I was shocked that it worked!  All of the bleed that was there for more than a year GONE!  I was so happy because even though this is a mini-quilt, there is a ton of time put into it and I really liked it!  FYI:  This is a Jo Morton quilt pattern.  Dawn saved the day!
 Whatever is going on in your world I hope you're finding some "save the day" moments!

11 comments:

Vickie said...

That is really awesome Jackie! If the Oly-Fun fabric I have ordered online, would come RIGHT NOW, that would save the day! I need it, so I can finish making dozens and dozens of face masks for my son and his fellow nurses and my family and our friends.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! So glad you shared this--Those Jo Morton quilts have a ton of work in them! The quilt is beautiful

Mary said...

That is so interesting to know...the quilt is beautiful and you must be so thrilled that the Dawn worked.

diamondc said...

Jackie: I have heard Dawn is good for many things, I use it to wash windows, just a few drops in a bucket work.
That is a lovely quilt, I would be broken hearted if my fabric bled.
So happy you were able to find a solution to fix the bleeding.
Stay Healthy

Catherine

Marilyn said...

That's amazing!
So glad you could fix it.
I guess Dawn is good for a lot of things, huh?
Marilyn

Gene Black said...

I am not sure but I think the origination of this info was . here

Vicki has lots of information about dye bleeding and how to stop or fix it. She explains it all in detail.

Robin in Virginia said...

I love your mini quilt, Jackie and I am glad Dawn saved the day.

tonyamay said...

Oh wow, I'm so glad that came out, I was wondering how and if that worked.

Natureluvr57 said...

Long ago I bought a bottle of "bluing" and I can't remember why but it wasn't for any laundry. The bluing used to be a big thing for making whites white and colors bright without using any harsh bleach. I don't even know if they sell it anymore. I wonder if Dawn uses some to color their detergent. I'm a big fan of original Dawn because it does so much and if it takes oil of the poor wildlife affected by oil spills, it's gotta be a good thing. I've seen others use it to get bleeding out of quilts, hand embroidery (just because floss says it's bleedproof doesn't mean it's so) and much else. So glad it worked for you

Carol said...

That is great, Jackie! As you said, what did you have to lose? Love that your quilt looks brand new again and thank you for the tip on using Dawn :)

Robin said...

Wow, what a great save!