Sunday, July 12, 2020

More Sewing

I recently purchased an external hard drive for my Mac laptop.  I have an old laptop that went dark and I have about 5000 photos that are probably lost.  In those photos are some of my parents who are in their 80s and very ill.  I am now periodically backing up my photos.  The hard drive came without a case and I felt it needed to be protected.  I found some old, old, old French General fabric and sewed up a small zippered pouch for protection.  I used batting.  There is enough room for other things if needed.  It's not perfect, but it will do.
I also put together this block for my long languishing Long Time Gone Quilt by Jen Kingwell.  I started this as a BOM though Amitie Textiles in Australia many years ago.  Jen's style is outside my comfort zone especially when it comes to fabric selection.  I'm going with it as the BOM included all the fabrics etc.  I might as well use what I have and it's never a bad idea to try something outside your comfort zone in quilting.  I will say that her designs can really easily use whatever ugly fabric you might have.  They seem to work!
Wishing you a great week!  May all your stitches be happy ones!

11 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your block of the month looks super and you are right about taking on something outside of one's comfort zone. Your patchwork case is precious and what a good way to keep your external hard drive in something pretty! Enjoy your week, Jackie!

diamondc said...

Jackie: What a wonderful idea, the fabric is lovely.
I wonder if a techie could bring it up to get your photos off it.

Catherine

Marilyn said...

Great block & bag.
Sorry you lost your pics, it's disheartening.
Marilyn

FlourishingPalms said...

Aren't you glad you know how to sew? It's great that you could make a case for your external hard drive. Sorry that your pictures have been in jeopardy, though! I'm glad to pay the $2.99 a month it costs to store photos in the cloud. I've got more than 12,000 of them there, but ceaseless (it seems) am trying to delete as many as possible. Of course, being a blogger for 11 years is why I have SO many pictures! And good for you to keep going on a UFO. Jen's style is very mish-mash, I think, so you're right about any print working in a quilt. Isn't it also nice to pull out an old project and know you have time to finish it? Good for you!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

French General fabric is one of favorites. Sorry for the loss of your photos--a good reminder to all of us to take steps now to protect and store them

Margaret said...

Your quilting is beautiful! Good idea on protecting that hard drive. Can you get all your pictures off that laptop? I hope you can. Maybe ask Apple to help you??

Mary said...

I love French General fabrics, your case is wonderful!!! Sorry to hear about losing all those photos.

jeweledantler said...

Your block and bag are beautiful Jackie!

RJ said...

Hello Jackie! So happy to be able to visit my stitching friends once again. I'm so sorry you lost all of those precious photos of family. That hurts.

I do love the case you made...beautiful. I'm a big fan of French General fabrics. They make up beautifully. Have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Barb said...

Love your zipper pouch and the fabric you chose for it.
Hope your parents are doing good.

Marie said...

Hi Jackie, Love to see your post! Hope things are good in your corner of the state. I need to be busy, have great ideas but then sit back and let them go. Maybe i will get busy again soon. Take care, Many hugs, Marie