Saturday, March 21, 2020

Before the Craziness

Two weeks ago we spontaneously went on vacation.  Usually we plan our trips to the mountains months in advance but this time we made plans 3 weeks before we left.  We are so glad we went, it was just what we needed.  We gone the week of Friday the 13th, the full moon, and the time change.  Little did we know things would get even worse with the virus.

Here is the place we stayed at in NE Georgia.  My parents had a cabin there for 30ish years and my first visit to this area was in 1982.  I'd love to live there full time but it would be hard to leave my adult children and healthcare could be tricky. 
My stitching nest was set up in the chair by the window.
 We could watch the sunrise from the bed in the master bedroom without even getting out of bed.  It was glorious!  I haven't seen a sunrise like this in years and years and am glad I'm waking earlier these days.
 The almost full moon from my stitching nest was also beautiful.  It was overcast on the night the moon was completely full.
 The overcast days were just as beautiful.  I live in Florida very near to beaches but my heart is really in the mountains.  They are never not beautiful to me!
There was even a little yarn and fabric buying.  
A lot of things have changed since we've been home.  All of our activities etc have been cancelled.  I was already working mostly from home.  Greg works for the school but has to go in because he is a 12 month employee (not sure how that makes sense) but I'm hoping he will be working from home starting mid next week.  He is a licensed clinical social worker and has already practiced having a therapy session virtually with a student and it went well.  My oldest son is a nurse as is his girlfriend so I worry about their health.  My youngest son has to go into work as well and I'm pretty sure that won't change.  My mom is in memory care and we can't see her for at least a month.  I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and sniffles so I cancelled our visit to my dad. 

I'm so thankful during this time for our online community and my love of stitching, knitting, sewing and reading.  It's truly been a source of comfort.  Greg doesn't have hobbies like that so he's working in the yard.  I'm certain that I will enjoy my time more than he will!

I hope you and your family are safe and have the supplies you need.  May your stitches be happy ones!

11 comments:

Robin said...

So nice you were able to have some time away before we entered these uncharted waters. Hope you and yours stay safe.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

My heart is also in the mountains--happy for you to have had this get away before all. the craziness started.

Barb said...

I am not able to see my mother either but I know she is in great care. We are allowed to drop things off. I loved your cabin....I can see my self there now...ha ha.

Mary said...

Your vacation spot was idyllic!! Look at the view from those huge windows, I'm sure it did your heart well to see all that beauty. Such pretty wool colors. I hope you and your family stay safe....Mary & RJ

Marilyn said...

Glad you went on vacation when you did.
The pics are beautiful!
Love your stitching spot, what could be better?
Great stash of yarn, love the colors.
Take care.
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

Jackie, your trip to the mountains looked fabulous. What beautiful sunrises you saw and the pictures of the almost full moon incredible! You are so right about the beauty of the mountains. Your stitching spot was awesome.

Stay safe and healthy! We are blessed to have this community along with our crafts to help with our peace of mind. Thinking of you!

Mariela Alethia said...

I am glad to were able to have some time away before the craziness engulfed all of us. Stay safe and yes I am so thankful for the crafting and sewing community.

Quiltsmiles said...

Stay Sane and well, and what a lovely and nice post.
Hubby And I just returned a week ago from a southern tour for over a month to see blue skies again and some warmth, where we did spend one night in Norcross, GA on our return trip home (nice area). We also had a beautiful break and the day we returned is when we heard the Governor was closing down bars, restaurants movies houses and etc... so shopped for groceries before we even got home.
These are trying times and we all need to hit our pause button for a while. I know I'll be fine as I have my needle sports and other hobbies to help my sanity.
We self quarantined to keep the family, friends and community safe and all are well so far with only a few positive cases evident locally. Daughter works in health care and she's hinting there'll be larger impact on numbers
and we live in the Northernmost section of New York State shortly. God Bless.

woolwoman said...

Jackie I hope you are feeling better this week? Love your yarn - is that a fade in the making I see? Hope you and Greg and all your family stays safe. Mel

Vickie said...

Very good timing on that trip! I hope you all stay safe. I know how you worry about your son and his girlfriend. We are so worried about our Jacob at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.

Margaret said...

Isn't it amazing how life has changed? I'm glad you got that vacation in before the madness started. Looks so beautiful. And yes, thank goodness for stitching, quilting and knitting! I would be going nuts otherwise! Take care.