Thursday, November 20, 2008

Class on How to Dye Yarn - Part 2

In my first post about my class on how to dye yarn, I showed you photos of the yarn in the crockpots soaking up the dye. Today's post is all about the results! Here are the 6 yarns I came home with after they dried. The skeins 2nd, 4th and 5th from the left were skeins we over dyed - which was a really fun process!
This picture below is of some of Sugarbees yarn. The photo is to illustrate the yarn before and after reskiening so you can see the difference. The photos of my finished yarn above are before reskiening. I thought I'd taken pictures of the reskiened yarn but I haven't but I'll post pictures after I've done that. Knowing relatively little about yarn, I wasn't aware how different it would look and thought maybe some of you out there might not as well. The photo below is the SAME colorway. Just reskiened on a different scale so the color variations line up a bit differently. Gorgeous either way! Sugarbee is SO talented (and I can't believe I didn't buy that yarn as I have the perfect outfit already to knit something up with it)!

The 2 photos below are the 2nd and 4th skeins before we overdyed them. We overdyed one skein with a pumpkin color and the other with a burgandy color. I can't remember which before picture ended up as which after picture but you get the idea! Sugarbee dyed the yarns she is holding below.

I'm definitely going to continue experimenting with yarn and the dye process. Why? Not to sell (frankly I do not have time) but for my personal use. Plus it's FUN! The year of 2008 has been about my discovering other interests besides family and work. It's been successful beyond belief. When 2008 rolled around, I wasn't knitting, I had no idea how to use anything but the simplest setting on my camera, and I certainly wasn't quilting or dyeing yarn! The part that I had not thought about was all the new friends I'd make and for that I'm extremely grateful!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Really interesting outcomes. Beautiful colors...so many possibilites. Can't wait to see which projects you decide on.

Chris Daly said...

so beautiful!

Simone de Klerk said...

So great that your discovering other interests has been so successful (O: 2008 has been a wonderful year for you already.

Candy Schultz said...

Lovely colors. I have never desired to dye yarn but I have dyed my own fabrics and I know the feeling of creating something unique and beautiful.