Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Free Motion Quilting and a Newbie Stitching Mistake

I've been working on free motion quilting the lap quilt that I'm not really thrilled with. I was concerned about the quilting being too dense and I think that I might not have been dense enough. This is my second project that I'm free motion quilting (the first was a table runner for mom). It is what it is though so I'm moving on. I know I'll improve with each attempt, I just need to keep practicing. It many ways it was easier than I thought (it went faster) and other ways it was harder (I felt the strain in my arms and it was hard to see where I'd already quilted). I really enjoyed it though and there is satisfaction in doing this part myself.

DSC02463
The binding is ready to go. I made it out of scraps. Isn't binding all pretty when it's rolled up ready to go? I really enjoy binding. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I've read that a lot of people don't like it so I was expecting it to be horrible. It isn't. It's soothing.
I had my first stitching lesson with my friend Teresa on Monday. I need another lesson. I made a newbie mistake. I should not have started stitching the right side of the border (is that the right term?). Somehow I got off track. Hope to figure it out this weekend and unpick and start moving forward again. Stitching on linen is a lot harder than stitching on Aida. But I'm going to get it. It just takes practice, like everything else, and a friend to walk you through it. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. I continue to drool over stitching blogs.
And guess what? I totally missed my two quilting classes. I had a mental note that they were in September. It was actually August.

Lesson Learned: Check my calendar!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the stitching blogs. I am impressed by your quilting and binding, very pretty. Your sampler stitching looks nice. I hope you do not have to rip out many stitches.

QuiltSue said...

Your FM quilting looks really good, well worth the aching shoulders I would think, and the binding looks so pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt now.

I can't comment on the stitching mistake as I don't do any myself, but from where I'm sitting it looks fine.

As for missing classes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets things wrong like that sometimes. (I blame my age, but that won't work for you!gg)

Beth said...

I really like binding, too -- and I had more volunteers to bind charity quilts than any other step!

Jean in Georgia said...

Don't let the linen freak you out. Pretty soon you'll "see" the box on it just like the Aida. And once you realize the freedom it gives you, you'll wonder how you ever stitched on that other stuff. :) You look like you're doing a great job!

Zlaty said...

You did great Jackie! I love the satisfaction of doing it yourself also!

I have been doind crostich also, I should share it on my sewing blog! :))

Have a great day!

Zlaty

Lori Holt said...

Whoops!...I've missed a few classes myself ... luckily NOT the ones I was teaching LOL!
x lori

Candace said...

I think your FMQ is lookingh great, Jackie! It just takes a LOT of practice! I also love how your stitching is starting out - everything looks nice and even!
Cheers!

Barb said...

You are doing wonderful with your stippling....pat yourself on the back.

Simone de Klerk said...

Your free motion quilting looks very good! I have never done it and not sure I will. Mmmm, the binding rolled up looks very nice. I like binding too. I think it is because you don't have to think while doing it. You can sew an end away (is this English?) And wow, such a beautiful start on you cross stitch! Love the pattern you chose for it. Good luck with this new technique (O:

julia said...

I think your quilt looks great. I love binding. It is the detail that finishes what ever it is you are making, be it a quilt, a coat, a dress, etc.... Your cross stitching looks good to me. I haven't done cross stitching in years. Maybe I should try my hand at it again be for the arthritis gets too bad!

woolwoman said...

AWWW - too bad about missing the classes - that's a shame - frogging is commonplace in stitching - just have to live with it - we all make those counting errors - can't wait to see your stitching - bring it Friday night in case I get to come -I'm planning on it but we'll see - Mel

TeresaB said...

Can't see where you made any mistake, but we'll figure it out Friday night and you'll be ok.

Jean said...

The quilting looks fine. I think you learn more each time you do it. Your comments about "too dense, not dense enough" made me smile, as we are all our worst critics, trying hard and yet picking it apart for flaws!