Saturday, May 2, 2009

Complete First and Glad to be Home!

Late last Sunday, I finished the binding on my table runner made from scraps from my first quilt top. As a result, this is my very first completely finished quilting project! WHOOT! I free motion quilted it myself! It's not perfect but it's 100% me! I'm hoping to send this off to my mom in the next week. She'll not mind the imperfections!

Last week I was in Charlotte for business. When I checked into my hotel, I found the perfect knitting chair in my room (how did they know I was a knitter?). Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time here at the end of the work day.
Instead, I spent too many hours here.
One of the best parts of the trip was when my plane landed in Charlotte, I had the cab driver take me directly to Charlotte Yarn. What a wonderful bunch of people who work there! Remi, the owner, remembered my name from the call I made that morning to make sure it would be ok to come in and knit for a bit. She also made sure I was included in the order out for a very late lunch. Sandy and I sat and talked while eating. She has faced a lot in the past year and she has made it through - she is so inspiring! Harriet drove me to my hotel so I didn't have to take a cab (which would have been perfectly ok) and told me all about her visit to Stitches South. Not only were the people so nice, it's a really nice store with loads of yarny yumminess! The only bad thing was that as I went to take a picture of the store, my battery died. Charlotte Yarn will be the first place I go to the next time I'm in Charlotte!

While traveling is fun, it's always great to be home!

14 comments:

Karen said...

Your table runner is great! The "knitting chair" looks compfy, the desk and chair, not so much. Did ya buy anything at Charlotte's?

Anonymous said...

Your runner turned out beautiful. Great colors and the bound points are perfect! I love that you went to Charlotte Yarn before your hotel. That sounds like a wonderful experience.

Jeannine said...

Oohh! The runner is gorgeous! Props on the FMQ! That is NOT easy, despite what 'they' try to tell you!

Barb said...

Your mom will love the tablerunner, it turned out awesome from where I am standing (sitting).....

Jean in Georgia said...

Your table runner is beautiful! Congrats on the finish.

Missed ya at Stitches South. My wallet took a hit. :)

Beth said...

Your first completed project looks AMAZING!! Congrats!

Abby said...

Congrats, it's wonderful!

Simone de Klerk said...

Congratulations with your first finshed quilt!!! I've never tried the free motion quilting yet. How good of you!
Are you starting your new job this coming Monday? If so, good luck (((O:

Chris Daly said...

Wonderful quilting job on the table runner. All your quilting is turning out beautifully.

Debbie said...

The table runner is really pretty. Your mom is going to love it.

Business travel can be fun when you have a nice shop with pleasant people to visit.

Micki said...

You did a wonderful job quilting the runner. It is drop dead gorgeous!
Micki

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my first attempt at stipple quilting. I know it says quilting in my post but it's actually a cushion, two cushions in fact. I found that it took me about 2 cushions 17' square each to improve my stippling and I'm doing much better now. I used to find it more intimidating than the designs as well until I got the hang of it. I should publish photos of the second lot of cushions with an improved technique. Not 100% but I'll get there. I'm actually training to finish up this quilt-along quilt. By the way, your free motion table runner looks good. It's got smooth edges unlike my first cushions!

Candace said...

Your tablerunner is beautiful Jackie! Your mom will love it so much! That chair is fabulous - I want one! Glad you had a good trip and were able to make some of it pleasure and not business!
Cheers!

Irene said...

Your tablerunner is lovely and it look absolutely PERFECT! It lies perfectly flat and your binding points are perfect too! Great job Jackie.