Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Bees and Mountains!

My EGA guild was selected to pilot Betsy Morgan's new teaching piece called Bee Contained.  It was such a privilege and obviously we were all thrilled.  Being a pilot class comes with responsibility.  As a result, I worked hard to clear some stitching from my schedule so I could devote plenty of time to stitching this project.  You know, instead of just putting the project in stash for a while to marinate.  Hopefully I'm not the only one who does that!  Being a pilot class entails giving Betsy feedback on such things as the pacing of the class, her presentation, the stitching charts and instructions as well as the quantity of threads, etc.  Betsy is an established and seasoned designer and teacher.  Everything went so well so the major item to give feedback on after class was the charting/instructions and threads.
Betsy demonstrating the blackwork path.
IMG_2336
This is the primary piece to Bee Contained.  This is Betsy's model.  It's so cute and Betsy's kits are full of high quality materials.  This class will be offered beginning 2019. The linen color here is more true to color than the photo of my stitching.
IMG_2329 
Here is my finished stitching of the class pieces other than the piece we assembled in class.  As a pilot class member, we were not required to assemble the project as part of our feedback.  I'll probably end up doing that next year.  Once the main panel was stitched, it went really, really fast.  I left class confident that I could assemble the project on my own which was a real plus and not always the case!
IMG_2927
This isn't a good photo but this is the piece we completed in class!  It's so cute.  So cute that my dog Murphy is super interested in it every time he happens to see it!  It's a good thing I'm always careful with my stitching around  him!
IMG_2290
Longtime readers of the blog will recall that Greg and I typically vacation in the Smokies every fall. This year was no exception.  Living in Florida, we get zero fall color.  Our trees typically go straight to brown from green.   I think this is our 9th or 10th year visiting the Smokies in October or November.  The last several years we've gone with dear friends.
IMG_2758
We love visiting the mountains (any mountainous area really).  I think with views like this it's understandable why this is our happy place!
IMG_2755
Hoping all your stitches are happy ones!

18 comments:

Barb said...

I like that word marinate...oh my gosh, this is gorgeous

Robin in Virginia said...

I love the views of your happy place. They remind me of some of the local views around my area. What a fabulous piece you worked on as a pilot class. Enjoy your week!

woolwoman said...

I know you love the mountains like we do and I'm glad you get to go every fall. your Bee Contained is amazing Jackie. I'm so glad you enjoyed the class and got all your stitching done. Hope the "finishing" goes on your challenge next year. Hope you enjoy the holiday season - Mel

RJ said...

What a fabulous class you went to Jackie. It must have been so exciting and interesting. Your project is gorgeous. I love that beehive...so sweet! I love your choice for vacation too...we love to go to the mountains too. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Rachel said...

Jackie--thank you for sharing this process, it's so very interesting! I've always been curious about the EGA but never researched my local chapter (if there is one)! This looks like a beautiful piece, and your stitching is lovely!

Robin said...

Marinating your projects is the perfect term. I prefer it over collecting dust! Love the Betsy Morgan piece. I remember liking it when seeing the preview of it. Hoping I can take the class sometime it 2019.
Robin.

Marilyn said...

Wow, that's an amazing piece!
Have fun finishing it.
The pics are beautiful.
Hubby always wanted to go there.
Marilyn
P.S. My nickname is Murphy (maiden name)

Vickie said...

Love your stitching!! What a beautiful vacation.

tonyamay said...

I love the bee pieces. As for the mountains, it's snowing now and we are supposed to get several inches this weekend. ♥

Sheryl said...

Bee Contained is a gorgeous piece, beautiful stitching and I hope the making up goes well, cute little beehive and sounds as though Murphy appreciates interesting needlework.

Margaret said...

Yikes! I've been neglectful of blogs. Loved seeing your framed finishes! And the Betsy Morgan pieces are wonderful! She is such a good teacher, and her pieces are always so cleverly put together. Glad you had a good vacation! Such a pretty place you go to!

Andrea said...

A beautiful piece. The Smokies look like a gorgeous place to visit.

Carol said...

The mountains are my happy place, too, Jackie and I so hope to visit the Smokies some day. Will have to get recommendations from you as to just where to go and when to visit :)

Love your bee piece and stitching--that must have been such an enjoyable class with Betsy!

Penny said...

The stitching on your class piece is just beautiful, Jackie! And your completed piece - I love it! Your vacation spot looks gorgeous and like an excellent spot for relaxing. Although I love the mountains, we seem to gravitate towards the shore when we want to get away. : )

valerie said...

OMG...I'm so glad I saw this post. Your stitched bee pieces look great and that hive is perfect! Betsy is coming to teach Swan Bower to our guild in February but we have the change to buy Bee Contained and learn about the special stitches during the weekend as well. I am SO excited!! I'll be getting both...will be very busy doing pre-stitching next month once I get the kits.

Marie said...

Love your stitching, it is beautiful. Hope all is good up your way. Hugs, Marie

Panther Martial Arts said...

This is gorgeous!!

Clipping Path said...

Gorgeous card, love the image and fabulous layout the colouring is stunning.