Sunday, October 2, 2016

4 Years

Earlier this week, I finished up bock #8 on Shores of Hawk Run Hollow.  I changed up the text for this blog and dedicated it to my son, Chris.  From a young age, he's loved the water, particularly the beach.  Even as an adult, he spends time at the beach or on the water.  Also, I thought that if I dedicated one project to each of my sons in a similar fashion, that'll be one large cross stitch project of mine that they'll each keep when I'm gone.

Any idea how to keep those long stitches taut?  They were but ironing seems to have relaxed them considerably.  I pulled them to the back for this photo.  
Untitled
This is Chris and my Mom (who has dementia) last year.  Oh how I love this kid!  Mom too!
IMG_1477
With the completion of this block, I'm also done with Shores of Hawk Run Hollow as I left this block to the end.  It's been a fun stitch though I must admit I got bogged down on the double block. Once I got that done, the rest of the blocks seem to have flown by!

I can remember Chris catching a seahorse at Coquina Key when he was about 10.  When he was younger, we spent a lot of time there with friends.  His dad/my ex wasn't fond of the beach at all and he worked weekends so we'd take off for the day.  We would see dolphins and manatees from time to time as well.  He also caught a baby sting ray.  Of course, he released whatever he caught after showing me.  Lots of good times!
Untitled
Shores of Hawk Run Hollow
Carriage House Samplings
40 Count Lakeside Linen Vintage Meadow Rue
Called for NPI Silks

For those of you stitching this,  I needed a third 993/black.  I don't think I did any more frogging than you'd typically expect on a project this size but needed a third skien.  If you're not using 40 count,  you may need more 671 (I only had a tiny bit left), 991, 522 and 208.

I thought I'd started this project in 2009 or 2010.  Looking back, I find that it was 2012 - 4 years to finish seems like a long time.  Now that it is done, that doesn't really matter does it?

26 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your stunning finish! This is gorgeous and I like how you used one of the blocks to dedicate it to your son. I would probably 'couch' stitch those long stitches.

Annie said...

It's so beautiful. I'm sure your son will treasure it. And what lovely photo with yout Mom.

I sometimes use little couching stitches in the same color floss to hold down long stitches.

krayolakris said...

Jackie, your sampler is beautiful. I enjoyed reading about reasons for dedicating it to your son; what sweet memories! For the long straight stitches, it helps to start each stitch at the bottom of the sails, eanding each stitch at the top. Take a few stitches at the base of your first stitch to secure it. So, all the stitches are going to end at the same point in top, vs starting at top and stitching downward. That's what works for me. Congrats!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Congratulations Jackie - this Sampler is AMAZING and so very Special!
I'm sure your son will treasure this Gorgeous piece!
Love the beautiful picture you shared of your Mom & Son.

Brigitte said...

So great, Jackie, a gorgeous finish! And I love the idea that you dedicated it to your son who loves the sea and the beach. A great heirloom for him. Four years doesn't seem such a long time to me but I am not a one project at a time stitcher, so my projects always take a long time to be finished, lol. These HRH projects are a bit time consuming but a lot of fun to stitch.

Marilyn said...

Congrats on a big, beautiful finish.
What a great idea to dedicate it to your son who loves the beach.
Marilyn

dortha said...

Beautiful piece. I am sure your son will treasure it and the love that went in it.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. Love the dedication to your son. He is very handsome. Sorry about your Mom's illness. That is difficult. Sending prayers and much love!

Vickie said...

Absolutely awesome Jackie. Well done. It is gorgeous. I loved hearing about your wonderful son. That is a great photo of him and your mother.

Margaret said...

Congratulations! It's gorgeous! Your son Chris is a handsome fellow -- and it seems appropriate that this one is his. Sorry to hear your mother has dementia. :( Anyway, great finish! As I always say, if I worked full time, I wouldn't get anything done at all!

tonyamay said...

beautiful, stunning. Your mom is beautiful as well, Chris too!! ;)

valerie said...

Yay!! Congrats on your BIG finish! Great photo of your son and your mom together. =)

woolwoman said...

Jackie - I've seen you working on this for many months but I never dreamed it was that long. I guess like I always say - it's the journey that counts! Your son Chris is a cutie and your mom is adorable too. Glad to see a photo of them both. Sounds like this sampler invokes some strong memories of times shared with your DS, isn't that the best about stitching. Your personalization is lovely and of course the piece is stunning! Can't wait to see your frame choice and congrats on finishing! Hugs Mel

Rita said...

Gorgeous finish!

Von said...

Congrats on finishing Shores! It's really a gorgeous piece!

ruthsplace said...

It's an amazing finish! I'm sure it will become a treasured family heirloom.

Andrea said...

Congratulations on your finish, it's stunning. Like many I would couch over the long stitch just to keep it in place.

Carol said...

Oh, Jackie--you must be so proud of this finish!! I just love it and think the way you've dedicated it to Chris is so wonderful. The picture of him with your mom is so great--I hope she's hanging in there with the dementia. Such a horrible disease and it seems like virtually every family has someone battling it.

Congratulations--can't wait to see it all framed up!

Angela said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish!

Sally said...

Congratulations on an amazing finish! I have no suggestions for keeping those long stitches taut. I had the same problem and they are still like it in the frame.

Barb said...

What a handsome man..... wonderful finish

Melanie said...

It's gorgeous!!!!! :)

Barb said...

Your stitchery is amazing. My mother was diagnoised with Dementia last year as well..... they look so happy.

Mrs.Pickles said...

Wow stunning
Lovely family too

Lynn said...

Such a wonderful piece of stitching, I have this on my to do list for sometime in the future, it is truly beautiful!

Cindy's Stitching said...

Beautiful finishes. love HRH