Monday, December 29, 2014

Final Finish!

I mentioned in my last post that I thought I'd have a quilting finish before the end of the year.  You may have noticed, but I've not been sewing a lot this year.  When I have, I have been working on this quilt.  I decided to give it to my sister for Christmas.  Long story, the gift was very unexpected by her for many reasons.  No one knew I was doing it except my husband.  When my sister opened it, she started crying.  It was a very touching moment.
IMG_2091
The photos, taken at night and inside, don't really show the richness of the reds.   I don't prewash my fabrics and didn't have any problems with bleeding at all.  I washed the quilt with Retayne which is a color fixative.  I also washed my Christmas Harvest Quilt with it.  These two quilts are made with fabrics from two different manufacturers.   
IMG_2090
I also tried a new to me technique - machine binding.  I machine bound placemats before and was not pleased with the result.  This is a HUGE quilt and I just didn't have the time to hand sew the binding down.  Also, I thought a machine binding would be more durable.  My quilter recommended Susies's Magic Binding.   I used the stitch in the ditch foot for my walking foot and it worked so very well.  Definitely a technique I'll use again.  
IMG_2089
This quilt was a BOM from Michael Miller from 2012.  

Looking back over 2014, I wanted to thank you for sticking with me.  I've not posted as much this year and probably will never reach posting a couple of times a week again.  I do plan on posting once a month and think I can reasonably meet/beat that schedule.  Your visits, comments and YOUR blogs inspire me so much.  I need that inspiration!  

At 2015 is just around the corner, I am feeling very hopeful and inspired. I hope you are too!  I'm not going to post a 2014 retrospective or goals for 2015.  But I will send you all a wish for a happy, healthy and safe new year - a year that is hopefully full of happy stitches!  Much love to you all!


Those of you who are stitchers may want to check out the blog for my EGA Chapter.  Lots of great finishes showcased!

41 comments:

Berit said...

Wonderful! This is so beautiful!!! What an incredible gift. :D

Ellen said...

Wow--what a wonderful gift for your sister!! It sounds like she was overcome with emotion upon receiving a very special gift.

Wishing you a great 2015--hope to see you in the coming year.

Blu said...

It's such a gorgeous quilt! The red and white combo is amazing. I'm not surprised your sister was overcome.

Mary said...

A big congrats on the quilting finish, Jackie! I do understand your sister's reaction. What a thrill to be gifted with something you've put so much of yourself into.

No worries, I'll keep stopping by to check up on you!

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous quilt and I can see why it brought a few tears to your sisters eyes, what a lovely and thoughtful gift to receive. Happy New Year my friend. Hugs!!

Carol said...

Oh, Jackie--it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! No wonder your sister cried when she opened it... A true labor of love, that's for sure!!

I've slowed down on my posting this year as well, but will try to keep it going once or twice a month...

Wishing you a wonderful new year, Jackie, filled with everything that brings a smile :)

krayolakris said...

Beautiful quilt Jackie! Thanks for sharing! I just ordered the dye-setting product; what a great tip.

Have a wonderful, happy New Year!

woolwoman said...

How wonderful to hear your sister was boiled over with your beautiful gift. I was so glad to see the quilt in person - it was simply stunning. You did a marvelous job on the piecing as Nancy did on the quilting. I hope you have an awesome 2015 full of many happy stitches - with warm and "wooley thoughts" Mel

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful! What a gift for your sister.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your quilt is beautiful. have you ever used ColorCatchers? Someone recommended them to me

Mouse said...

soooo wheres mine then ???? lol gorgeous present for your sister and I can see why she was sooo touched ....beautiful colours and pattern ... wishing you a very merry stitchy new year :) love mouse xxxx

Robin in Virginia said...

What a gorgeous quilt you created for your sister! Simply stunning!

Wishing you a bright 2015!

Robin in Virginia

Sue Daurio said...

Beautiful quilt! And such a great story to go with it. Thanks for sharing

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

That is one beautiful quilt and I can understand why she started crying...it is stupendous Jackie! Happy New Year!

Margaret said...

What a lovely quilt, Jackie! And how sweet of you to give it to your sister. I'm not surprised she started crying. Such a special quilt. So cool that the machine sewn binding worked so well. It looks lovely too! Happy New Year!

Lori @ Back Porch Ramblings said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Love the red and white! I'm going to have to try that binding method. I've never seen that before but really like the contrast strip it leaves.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations, Jackie!

Daffycat said...

I would cry too...that is an awesome gift! Beautiful job, Jackie - well done!

Chris said...

Gorgeous finish! Love it!
Wishing you a wonderful 2015!

Kats Studio said...

Beautiful! I know it was a wonderful gift and will be cherished for years to come. Have a very Happy New Year.

Andrea said...

A stunning quilt and a wonderful gift, an heirloom for sure.

Wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year.

paulette said...

Gorgeous quilt, Jackie!! We will take you when we can get you and read with enthusiasm!!Happy New Year to YOU!
P

valerie said...

The quilt is gorgeous, Jackie! I am sure your sister will treasure it for years to come! Happy New Year!

Angela said...

Absolutely gorgeous finish :) Happy New Year!

Annette-California said...

Incredible beautiful stunning gorgeous quilt! You gifted your sister a most wonderful gift made with love by you. You are a great sister Jackie! Happy New Year!
love Annette

Melanie said...

So so beautiful!!! I'm sure she did love it. It's a stunner for sure. :)
Happy new year!!

Brigitte said...

This quilt is looking so beautiful that I am not surprised that your sister shed tears when you offered it to her as a gift.

My own quilting has come to a halt, I'm quite addicted to stitching, stitching, stitching. But this year I want to get back into quilting a bit and try to assemble my already cut first big quilt. Loking at your quilt makes me want to do it.

Have a happy new year.

Karen said...

Your quilts are beautiful. I really like the tutorial on the binding I'm going to give it a try. Happy new year!

Marie said...

No wonder she shed a tear - this is a beautiful, heartfelt gift.

Hazel said...

Stunning quilt! Happy new year to you and yours. x

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I can see why your sister was so taken with the love you showed her though your work. Thanks for the link for the binding method too. It makes a wonderful edge.

imquilternity said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Jackie! How touching that it was received so emotionally and heartfelt. That makes all that effort worthwhile, doesn't it?

And, thanks for sharing the binding hint. I've been wanting to try that method and now that I know you recomment it, I will be willing to try it on my next quilt.

Happy New Year!

blue star stitcher said...

What a lovely gift for your sister. I love all the reds in it.

Mrs.Pickles said...

Stunning congrats of the finish. I'm sure she loved it

Dani - tkdchick said...

Its gorgeous!

Karoline said...

The quilt is stunning, congratulations

Krafty Connie said...

It is a gorgeous quilt, Jackie. Yesterday I got computer geek advice and finally am able to leave comments where I once couldn't seem to do so! So I'm stopping by to say hi!
connie

ruthsplace said...

It's a beautiful finish!

Sheryl said...

A very beautiful quilt. Lucky sister

Sally said...

Wow your quilt for your sister is stunning!

geeky Heather said...

WOW, Jackie, it is GORGEOUS!! Glad that your sister had the appropriate response. ;)