Sunday, September 7, 2014

No Hint of Fall in the Air

As I've been reading blogs, I've noticed that many of you are mentioning that fall is in the air.  I sure wish it was here!  We're still having hot, humid days.  Though it does look like it's going to drizzle rain here most of the day today.  I love fall but I'm not sure we can say we have a fall season here in Florida because we don't have the glorious color that much of the country gets.

Even though it's not fall, I've been knitting!  Below is my finished Duotone Cowl.  I used a jogless stripe method using this tutorial.  Another tutorial was also helpful regarding kitchner/grafting in the round.   Honestly, this one has been done for ages except the 88 stitch kitchner stitch.  Thankfully, it was summer and it didn't matter.  This isn't a long cowl and I can already tell it's going to be my go-to cowl this winter.  I've found if I keep my neck warm, I really don't need much other than a light sweater or light jacket to go back and forth to work or if I'm not going to be outside for more than 15 or 20 minutes.
DSC04739
Duotone Cowl
MadelineTosh Tosh DK in Dirty Panther and Dove
Size 9 Needles

I also knit a hat for my husband - surprisingly in just two days.  I never finish anything in two days.  Never.  He picked the pattern and the yarn.  It's just a tag loose but that's how he likes it.  He really doesn't like a snug hat.  I skipped the tubular cast on - I just wanted to knit not a learn a new cast on at that particular moment and used the suggested alternative which was a long tail cast on.  It was plenty stretchy.
DSC04730
Turn a Square
Lorna's Laces Worsted in Chocolate
MadelineTosh Tosh DK in Buckingham Fountain
Size 7 Needle

I've actually got another knitting finished but it needs to be blocked.  Considering how much I love blocking, don't hold your breath.  It may be a while!

We've been on vacation since my last post.  A very much needed break away from technology (mostly) and all the hustle and bustle of our daily lives.  Greg and I had three picnics in nearby state parks and spent some great time together.    It's my favorite way to recharge and since it's just he two of us, we don't have to go-go-go every second.
image
One of our picnic spots

I hope you are having a great weekend full of happy stitches! 

23 comments:

Barb said...

Oh.............love your cow neck!!!

krayolakris said...

Wow, Jackie, great FOs! Thanks for the links to tutorials!

Tammy said...

I love that cowl Jackie - just gorgeous. The hat is great too. And your picnic spot is so beautiful and relaxing, I can see why you like to go there. Hope you feel a bit of fall soon. Hugs!!

Margaret said...

Fantastic finishes! I love them both! Thanks for the links to the tutorials too. Hooray for vacation!

P.J. said...

Lovely knitting; your cowl is very classy and love hubby's new hat, very hip! What a wonderful get-a-way.

Carla said...

Very nice Jackie. I wish I lived where you are. Fall here is ok, but winter is a deep freeze !

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful cowl! Now we just need the cool season to get here.

I didn't think we had fall either, but the last few years I noticed more color around our lake. It's not like New England color, but for Florida, it's not too bad. ;-)

Annie said...

Beautiful cowl and obviously something you will use often. And the hat looks like a perfect fit.. I don't like really snug hats either.

Just turned cool here today after the hottest week all summer. I really hate to see the summer go, but it happens every years so you would think I'd have adjusted by now!

Vickie said...

Great job on both useful pieces. Glad you two got away from it all for a bit.

Lori @ Back Porch Ramblings said...

Love the cowl! And your picnic spot is gorgeous! I love calm, quiet picnics. :)

Marie said...

Love your knitting, your work is so good. I too miss fall and we sure don't have much if any. We are taking a mini US time in another week up to Destin can't wait o get away. Hugs mu friend, Marie

woolwoman said...

Love you new cowl Jackie - it's a great basic for our mild climate and yes you will get a lot of use out of that neutral color. Funny we were just talking about DH hat and here it is . . . Yes I wish fall was here but I think with all this rain and lower temps (not in the 90's) we can probably can consider this fall - Mel

Mylene said...

Such beautiful finishes, Jackie. Love the colours you've chosen.
Fall isn't here yet for us and hope it will take a while yet...

Andrea said...

A beautiful cowl. It looks a very peaceful spot for your picnics.

Anonymous said...

Your vacation photo looks so peaceful. I love your knitting. Your stitching is lovely. Hope you are having a lovely week.

ruthsplace said...

I love the cowl and the hat and your picnic place looks so relaxing!

I also have something waiting to be blocked, your post reminded me that I'm actually not sure where it is right now. Guess that's a job for tomorrow (weather permitting). It's also my least favourite thing...

Sally said...

Gorgeous cowl and hat Jackie.

We are still getting warm days but cooler evenings.

Carol said...

Really lovely and useful cowl, Jackie--looks perfect for winters in northern FL! The hat looks great, too--will it see much use this winter? Our winter is supposed to be even worse than the last one--sure hope that doesn't come to pass...

I love the look of your vacation spot--total relaxation, I'm sure!

Melanie said...

Fall is definitely in the air here AND it's also humid and gross. So figure that one out!
Very nice cowl! I really like the colors. Madeline Tosh is such a great yarn, too.
Long tail cast on always works for me. I hate fancy cast ons. :)

Karoline said...

Great finishes, congratulations

imquilternity said...

I love that cowl... it looks very elegant.

How coincidental. My husband and I were just discussing our next couple of picnics today. I love picnics!!

Annette-California said...

Beautiful cowl for you and hat for your DH! I love picnics, glad you both had a lovely getaway. love Annette

Brigitte said...

Very beautiful knitting for you and your husband.
I have always found that being in nature is the most relaxing thing for me, too. Meanwhile you certainly can also find the first signs of fall in your region, at least some moderate temperatures.