Monday, July 14, 2014

The Kindness of Bloggers

About two weeks ago, I was scrolling through Instagram and came across a photo.  I left a comment that I'd love to learn to make the item that had been posted.  I'd also said I'd be willing to buy one in the event the poster had bought one on Etsy.  Turns out the poster was Annette of California Stitcher  and she sent me an email saying not only had she made hers but she'd make one for me and send me the pattern.   I had scrolled through so quickly it hadn't even registered it was her photo!

It arrived over the weekend!  What is it?  It's a roll to store my stitching WIPs in and keeps creases from forming.  Quilters can use a smaller version to store quilt blocks.  Scroll down to see more about what it is and how it works.  I cannot tell you how touched I was that Annette made this one.  It's gorgeous Annette!  I've been wanting one of these for a very long time!  Thank you sweet Annette!  
DSC04683
I love the buttons Annette used!  This one by the bow that holds the roll closed.

This is the button on both ends.  The "roll" part of this is actually a PVC pipe.  Annette said you can even use wrapping paper cardboard tubes.  I like the sturdiness of the PVC and the PVC will hold up to putting the roll in my bag I fill full of stuff for stitching with my EGA chapter.
DSC04684
Here it is opened up.
DSC04686 
You lay your project down.  As you can tell, I didn't iron Sarah Elizabeth Brooke for this photo shoot.      I've decided to keep it real and this is what SEB looks like right now.
DSC04687 
And then you simply roll the roll up!  There is ribbon to tie into a bow and then you're back up to looking like the first photo.  Of course, more than one project can be stored in the roll.  I don't know about you, but I don't always finish a project in a timely manner.  This will help keep creases out from  that we typically see from folding linen.  It would be a great way to store your linen stash too.
DSC04688
Here is the pattern that Annette on which Annette based the construction.  She did change the size and if I remember correctly she used a 22" PVC pipe.  It's a great versatile size.  Most of my current projects will fit this size.
DSC04690
The blogging community continues to amaze me.  Annette is a sweetie and very talented.  If you haven't visited her blog before, please do.  She stitches, sews, and paper crafts.  Thank you so much Annette!  

33 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice of her to make this for you! I made one for myself years ago, when I was into hand appliqué. Now I couldn't even tell you where it is because I'm no longer making the things that would fit in it. Anyway, mine is made with the stiff cardboard tube that has caps at each end. The cap can be removed for storing thread, snips, needles and such. It's really the perfect block and/or cross-stitch carrier. So glad you received one!

Annie said...

Very cool idea and even cooler that Annette made one specially for you.

I have some of those old tubes that Charles Craft fabrics come it. They can probably be slightly re-purposed using this method and have the caps the Flourishing Palms mentions.

Margaret said...

Annette is talented, and generous as well. She always amazes me with what she can make! Lucky you to get this gorgeous roll!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of Annette. You both are wonderful stitchers. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed looking at all her lovely projects.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What a thoughtful thing to do! I know I have been blessed greatly by my blogging friends. =)

Anne said...

How amazing!! So sweet of lovely Annette! I've wondered about how to make those rolls too since creases in my WIP's bother me..lol. What's a PVC roll? Are they hard to find (and inexpensive?). She is very talented..as are you :D

Hugs

P.J. said...

What a terrific idea. How super sweet of Annette. It is a gift in its self the things I've learned and the talented folks I've come to know throw blogging. Happy day!!

Penny said...

That was so sweet of Annette! She did a beautiful job. This is such an interesting idea ~ I might give it a try. :)

Carol said...

How very kind of Annette!! Her work is so pretty and how nice that you have your very own piece of it, Jackie... I love the WIP holder--so pretty AND useful :) And I'll bet it's great for traveling, too!

geeky Heather said...

I have a couple of these rolls that someone made me years ago, and they are wonderful!! Mine aren't quite as fancy as the ones talented Annette made, with the cute little yo-yos, though! =)

Tammy said...

What a wonderful gift and so thoughtful. This is why I continue to blog, everyone is so generous and thoughtful and you can't beat the friendships you can make in our community. I will have to check her blog out, she sounds like a very talented lady. Hugs my friend!!

Ellen said...

Wow, what a wonderful gift from Annette. Know that you were thrilled.

Annette is so kind and also so talented! I was thrilled to meet her last year when I taught for her sampler guild in San Francisco.

Dani - tkdchick said...

I say it over and over that stitchers are the kindest people ever! You're so lucky she made me one of her rolls its beautifully done!

Rita said...

What a great idea! ...and what a kind blogger!

valerie said...

That was very sweet of Annette! It's a great concept...my current wips have tons of creases from being folded in my project bag. I am sure it will be put to great use. :)

woolwoman said...

what a super gift from Annette - you'll have to show it to me - I'm coveting already LOL - Love your SEB - she is coming along beautifully - Mel

krayolakris said...

Jackie, that's a great gift. What a beautiful and useful tool! Your sampler looks wonderful too! I now have another inspiring blog to follow as well...thanks for sharing!

Blu said...

How wonderful of Annette!

Barb said...

What a clever thing to have...and yes, bloggers are amazing!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Annette is a most, kind and generous woman! That is GORGEOUS!!.

Melanie said...

What a clever, handy thing! And so sweet of her to send you. I'm sure you'll get so much use out of it. :)

Mary said...

Jackie your ficr is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and the instructions.

Heidi's Garden said...

What a kind thing for her to do for you. I have a very large one I made for my patchwork which I can then hang and use as a small design wall too. The inside is flannel to help patchwork stick.

I hope you are feeling better as time passes? I am sure you still miss your sweet puppy and am glad you have another to give you some special puppy kisses.

Hugs from Holland,
Heidi

Vickie said...

Very, very cool, sweet, and generous. I know firsthand the thoughtfulness of Annette. Enjoy!

Andrea said...

A wonderful and useful gift from Annette. Looks ideal for travelling.

Annette-California said...

Awe thank you so much for all your kind and sweet praise Jackie! You totally made my day Thank you.
And to read all the very kind comments here - WOW!!! My heart is full. So glad you are happy and using the needleroll.
The photos you took and how you explained to use it is Fantastic!
One tip - turn your needlework upside down on the roll. That way its easier on the tension of your stitches. love Annette

Brigitte said...

Annette is such a sweetie and so generous. What a wonderful gift among stitchers. And so versatile as you can use it for your stitching as well as for your quilting. Enjoy.

Sally said...

How wonderful of Annette to make one for you and send you the pattern. It is so pretty and a brilliant idea too.

Angela said...

A lovely surprise from Annette! I saw this and my first thought was it would be a perfect way for me to keep Stargazer safe until I can find a frame for her :) I don't know why I didn't think of this :)

Karoline said...

What a gorgeous gift from Annette

Michele said...

How nice! What a great idea :-)

Hazel said...

Beautiful gift from Annette! Love it. X

tonyamay said...

Have you finished the stitch that's in this roll? I haven't seen it.