Thursday, February 24, 2011

Working for the Weekend

I thought I'd show you a progress picture of Jenny Bean's Halloween today. I'm still really enjoying stitching this one even though progress is slow. Work has been crazy, other commitments, etc. You all know how it is.
DSC03678
A big highlight for me this past week was the arrival of the goodies I won from Deborah at Cranberry Samplings for her 300 followers celebration. I felt like it was Christmas! Deborah, thank you so much for your generosity. If you're not familiar with her blog, do visit her, read some of her posts and say hello. You won't be sorry!
DSC03665
Early tomorrow morning, DF Teresa (Girl With Needles) and I will leave for a weekend retreat. I spent the entire 3 day weekend last weekend getting prepared. It's not that far from home but it's located in an entirely different world than the city we live. It should be fun though. While I'm gone, I might start a scarf/shawlette called the Age of Brass and Steam. I love dark colored yarn so this heathered gray is perfect for me. I have another knitting project ready to go but I have a feeling I might not start that project.
DSC03667
Teresa and I will most definitely start Hallow Eden by Plum Street Samplers. We're going to have a SAL. For us that means "start a long". We'll start it at the same time and then do our own thing. I've wanted to do this one for a while. I have another very small stitching project kitted up ready to go should the mood strike. I'm also taking a couple of WIPs and a few ornaments as we're going to try and finish a few of them.
DSC03683
My time consuming prep work was all quilting related. I've never been to a retreat before but I do know that any ironing or cutting areas will have a steady stream of people going to and from. As a result, I spent a lot of time cutting things out over the weekend and prepping most of the blocks that I'm behind on from last years $5 Quilt and Stitchers Garden. I had kept up what seemed like most of the year and then all of a sudden I was really behind. I also have a small Jo Morton project planned to start should I want to and a WIP that needs some ripping and a pieced border made. The retreat location is pretty remote so there isn't anyplace to go buy something that I've forgotten. I have a lot of stuff to haul with me. There will also be about 200 people attending (I hope I won't get sensory overload) - many of whom I will not know. I thought it might be a good idea to have a rolling tote type thing to pack/haul my stuff in so Greg went to the big orange box hardware store. This is what he came home with:
DSC03686
The thing is HUGE. 50 gallons. And I managed to fill it up with my knitting and quilting (stitching is packed separately). I'll find out this weekend if I forgot something critical. We loaded up tonight and I made should I could get this beast into the van without killing myself. It was close.

Greg has been telling me "You're only going for 3 days, not a month". And I have to wonder if he actually saw the size of the tote he bought me. I mean, seriously, did he think I was going to take the thing half filled?

34 comments:

Trisha said...

Beautiful shawl that will be in that pretty yarn! Have a great time at the retreat!!

valerie said...

Have fun at your retreat! Love the progress on your Jenny Bean and congrats on the new stash win.

I love Hallow Eden so will be looking forward to a start photo...I should add this one to my stash...

Theresa said...

Great progress on your stitching!!! It is such a interesting design!!!

Have fun at your retreat!!!

Unknown said...

looks like your all set and ready for a weekend of fun

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm giggling through your packing description. Oh my! It's so true! We plan and pack, worried whether we might run out of things to do, and then prep and pack some more. The next thing we realize is that we need to pack for ourself too! I have no doubt you will find yourself spending time visiting with other people and looking at their projects. You may return home dismayed that you didn't accomplish more! So go on the retreat, expecting to make new friends, and stitch and sew a little. Then expect to have a wonderful time. We'll be looking forward to hearing about it.

Annie said...

The Jenny Bean piece looks fabulous.

Can't believe how complicated it is to prepare for a retreat! My stress level would go sky high just in the prep! But you seem to have a good handle on this. Have a wonderful time doing all those great projects!

Tammy said...

Thanks for the giggles(about packing) and sharing your stitching, love it!
I think the shawl will be very pretty.
Have a great time on the retreat and looking forward to the show and tell when you get back.

Carol said...

I'm sure you and Teresa will have a wonderful time at the retreat, Jackie--you are surely well prepared :) That tote is humongous!!

Your Jenny Bean is so cute and what a wonderful win from the generous Deborah--love her little sheep pinkeep :) Enjoy your weekend...

JudiB said...

Oh I do hope you have a wonderful time. I will say it is hard to get anyting done when you want to see what everyone else is working on..lol..lol.
Enjoy!!

Isabelle said...

Ho !! I hope you spend a very nice time with you friend at your retreat :-)Your yarn looks beautiful .
Have a great week-end ,
Isa

Margaret said...

Oh I hope you have fun! lol on the big box! Of course you have to fill it up to the brim! What's the point otherwise! Sounds like you're well prepared, which is a good thing. I love your Jenny Bean! And your prize -- wow! You're so lucky! Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Your sampler is beautiful. Isn't it funny how the phrases have changed over the years. If a child stitched something about "when I'm dead" we'd have them in therapy these days. LOL

Have fun at your retreat!

Giovanna said...

Love your Jenny Bean, and congrats on the fabulous win!

Loretta said...

Isn't it funny that no matter the size of the tote/case/box we manage to fill it up? Have a great time at the retreat!

Katie :o) said...

Wow! You have been busy! Congrats on the 300 followers win :o) Have fun on your retreat!

geeky Heather said...

LOL!!! Looks like you are well prepared. I love to "flit" from project to project at retreats. Hope you girls have a great time!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

First of Jenny's Halloween looks great! Good going you :) You're getting close! And your win...well that's spectacular!
And that tote...he's making sure you get to take EVERYTHING with you :)
HAVE FUN!!!

Simone de Klerk said...

Great progress, your Jenny Bean's Halloween! Wonder what the text will say, once you are finished.
Congratulations on the win (((o:
And Jackie, I did have to laugh, reading about you getting ready for the retreat and the box Greg got for you. I think you will need the three days to rest from all the work you did for the preparations ;o)
Have lots and lots of fun!!!

Patty C. said...

Congrats on your win :)

Karen said...

Now....that's a travelling bag! Goodness....looks like you will have tons of fun and stitching this weekend.

Hope you have fun....happy stitching.

Carolyn NC said...

That's traveling in style - love it! I love your progress on JBH - looks great! And your win was fabulous! Enjoy the weekend!

Krispian said...

Enjoy :-). Have a great time away.

I really like the Stanley case. Have you thought of a peli case?

Well done on the 300 followers.

Mylene said...

Great design you are working and it is looking beautiful. Congrats on the win-lovely stash!!

Melanie said...

Great progress on your sampler!!! I love this piece, can't wait to see it done. :)

Lori said...

A retreat? How Fun! I could so fill a tote that size when I go on a crafting retreat. Love it!

Beth said...

HA! Looks like you'll be prepared! Have a great time!

Michele said...

Have a wonderful time at the retreat :) Congratulations on such a fun win! Enjoy!

Micki said...

Congrats on the win and have a fun time!
Micki

Sue said...

I love your JB sampler and what a great give away to win, super stash ;)

Brigitte said...

Oh Jackie, I hope you are having a wonderful time at the retreat. And I hope that you could squeeze everything into that smallish box. LOL.

Lainey said...

Your JB Sampler is gorgeous and what wonderful goodies from the lovely Deborah.
Look forward to hearing all about your retreat.

Sally said...

Your JB Sampler is beautiful. There is something quite special about those designs :)

Enjoy your retreat!

What a fantastic win from Deborah!

Ruth's Place said...

Hope you have a wonderful retreat. Better to have too much than to run out is my motto.

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

oh my god all these things I like! the son are gorgeous! Sweet kisses
marylin FRANCE