Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day Anyone?

Today is Columbus Day and if you work for a bank (like I do), it's a holiday! It's one of those holidays when it seems like everyone else is working. I spent my day doing odd things around the house, a few loads of laundry, errands, and some minor organization. That gave me a few hours this afternoon to work on my next quilting project. I've got everything cut out (Gobble Gobble is the fabric line) and ready for assembly. I'm not sure I'll get much chance to work on this next weekend or during the week but I'll try and fit a bit in when I can. I wish I had a three day weekend every weekend. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
One of the errands I ran was to pick up some silk thread for one of the two stitching projects I plan on starting soon. Jill from Azalea House is out of town but she left it for me to pick up. This stuff is so soft. It's Belle Soie, a hand dyed thread. Delish!
I'm going to have to make a color change though. The picture above is two skeins of thread. Two different colorways! Don't they look very similar? Sometimes that happens with hand dyed. It's not an exact science and that is one of the things I like about it!
Today ended up being my favorite kind of day - a nice balance of getting stuff done around the house and time to do the fun things I love to do. I'm still piddling around the house and doing a bit of laundry here and there. Don't mind it at all!

13 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you had a productive day! I'm sure your Gobble Gobble project will be very nice.

Barb said...

I love those kinds of days, seem to be a very rewarding when those productive days happen....for me, they are few and far between.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Glad you had a great Monday!! I just LOVE the colors of your new quilt! Gorgeous fall!!

Simone de Klerk said...

I wish I could give you that third weekend day!
The color of the strand is so pretty! So warm.
Look forward to see how those block put together will eventually look like!!
Have a good rest of the week and hope you can find some time for you hobbies!

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely "bimble-y" day you had. I'm looking forward to seeing what your Gobble-Gobble project looks like.

Beth said...

Oh, I need one of these days! I believe we get off Columbus Day as the day after Thanksgiving...*sigh*

Love the Gobble! Gobble!

Marie said...

I know you wish every Monday could be a s much fun!! Have a good week . Hugs, Marie

Anonymous said...

I love the contrasts in your Gobble Gobble quilt. I can't wait to see a finished block, or four together! I have never used hand dyed thread, or silk for that matter. Looking forward to seeing those projects too.

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Jackie, love the Gobble Gobble...I have your blog on my rss feed - I love this method so we can stay current with our favourite blogs;)
I love the hand dyed silk floss the names are the cutest "mudpie" love it!!
Thanks also for following my blog and leaving comments.
I also have a facebook group and would love to have you join if you are so inclined.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chestermere-AB/Pastimesonlineca/118015395269
Valerie
www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

Micki said...

Glad that you had a lovely day where you could work on projects!
They look so nice!
Micki

Debbie said...

That is the best kind of day!

julia said...

I love the fabrics for your quilt. I can't wait to see them sewn together. How are you enjoying your new machine? Silly question I suppose!
Columbus Day was never much of a holiday here in TN but when my daughter married a boy from up north I found out that it is really celebrated up there.

Candace said...

Sounds like a wonderful day you had, Jackie! Can't wait to see what Gobble Gobble becomes!
Cheers!