Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Another Unfinished Project!

Sunday I took a bag class at Calico Station where I purchased my Bernina. No one finished the bag completely. We had homework but it wasn't put on the supply list. I'm kind of glad it wasn't as Louise showed us a way to quilt our bag with a walking foot that wasn't hard and something I had not tried before. Basically you put on your walking foot and sew whilst rocking the fabric a bit back and forth to make wavy lines. Fun, quick, easy! Here's my fabric for the bag, quilted.
You can get a better idea here of what the quilting looks like. This is the first time I've boxed off corners. Easy! Just sew a straight line at the corners and cut off the excess. I didn't sew before I started quilting so all this is new to me!
Here is my bag partially finished. I love this fabric! One of the reasons I chose it was because my quilting would kind of get lost in the pattern. I didn't want the quilting boo-boos to stand out.
Class ended for me with my finishing up putting in my first set of pockets in the lining of my first real bag. The other bag I made was a market bag.
I hoping to finish this bag - hopefully by Christmas so I can give it as a gift. I think I'll need some help with putting in the grommets. I can handle the lining and other stuff. But grommets? Someone is just going to have to hold my hand through that process!

It may seem like I'm not knitting but I am. I have 2 big projects on the needles and I've been knitting on them both. It's just that today's progress pictures look pretty much the same as the last one's. I hoping to finish on my felted Noni bag soon so I can have one finished project to show you!

Let's just say that it's really obvious to me how easy it is to start a bunch of projects and not finish so many! It's a good thing I'm a person who enjoys the process and does not obsess about getting a finished project, isn't it?!

19 comments:

Vicki H. said...

I love the fabric for that bag!! I just took a class and made a tote, no one finished it either while in class. I did once I returned home. I too have many starts right now, and not many finishes. I agree, it is the process that should be enjoyable!!

Anonymous said...

I like the process too. I have so many UFO's that a finished item is really nice. Your bag looks great. I am wondering how the grommets work in your bag design? They can be tricky to put in. Do a couple of practice ones first. Wonderful close-up photo of your open toe foot.

QuiltSue said...

Your bag looks good. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Pat said...

Your bag looks great. My husband has what he calls the motorcycle theory. If a man on a motorcycle riding by can't spot the imperfections, then don't sweat it.

Teresa said...

Your bag is looking great...I love the shape of it. What is the saying on the "A New Neighborhood" cross stitch. I enlarged the picture and still can't read it. Its a pretty picture. And speaking of pictures - thanks for sharing the family ones, was fun to see.

Simone de Klerk said...

Wow, Jackie, I'm impressed by your machine quilting qualitities! Looks like you have done it for ages. The fabric is great, also the lining. Nice and bright. You will get it finished before Christmas (O: Good luck with finishing the knitted bag and then the felting.

Nettie said...

Wow! the bag looks fabulous and I find it hard to believe you didn't sew before you took up quilting! you're doing amazingly well! I started to quilt when I bought my Bernina and they were doing a 6 week course: never regretted that!
hugs, Nettie

Zlaty said...

Hi Jackie, I love your bag and the fabric! I think you did great on the quilting too!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty

julia said...

Great bag! I really like the blue!!
I can't wait to see it finished.

imquilternity said...

That's a gorgeous bag...I LOVE your fabric choice and your quilting looks wonderful. I see no boo-boo's!

Micki said...

The blue fabric for the bag is extroardinary!
It will be so pretty!
Micki

Debbie J said...

This is a very pretty bag! It reminds me of the first bag I made a couple of years ago. I was so proud of it, but yours is much prettier!

Angel Scraps Quilting
Debbie J.

Siobhán said...

The fabric is wonderful--it'll be wonderful! Love the LHN neighborhood, too. :)

Moonlit Goddess said...

I really love the colors. Can't wait to see if finished.

Candace said...

Great bag - I'm just tickled you're having fun with your new machine, Jackie! Your stitchery is wonderful as well - I think I may have to do that one --- someday!!!
Cheers!

Nancy said...

Love your choice of fabric! What fun! Looks like you are having fun with this project! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. Yes, the Colorado property is a very special place, and I'm anxious to get back down there to get my studio in order!

Jocey said...

First off..thanks for visiting my blog..I do not get many visitors but that's okay. It lead me to yours. I love your fabric for the bag...and the wavy lines also. I going to try that on some table runners and I will be getting back to you if I can't catch on. I also like your market bag.
Jocey

Debbie said...

Very pretty choice of fabric. I Agree it certainly is easy to get many projects started. I'm fascinated by rug hooking..possibly my next adventure

Ruth's Place said...

That bag is going to be stunning!